Frequently Asked Questions | Harley's Rider Training

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a moped and what is a learner motorcycle?

A moped does not have an engine over 50cc and has a maximum design speed of 50km/h (31mph approx).

A learner motorcycle has an engine up to 125cc with a power output not exceeding 11kw.

What is accelerated access?

Accelerated access is a scheme that allows a person who has passed a test on a standard category A machine to avoid the two year qualification period on machines of 25kw (33bhp) with a power to weight ratio of 0.16kw/kg. To qualify, a person needs to be over the age of 21. Passing the test gives access to any size of machine.

33 BHP

As a rough guide this will probably be less than a modern 400cc machine but there are some 125cc that produce this much power such as the Aprilia RS 125cc. The best way to find out what power a bike produces is to look on the manufacturer’s website.

Category A2 Licence

To gain this licence you would sit the test on a bike of 120cc to 125cc. The bike must be capable of 62mph. When you pass you can ride without L-Plates machines up to 33BHP for two years after which you can ride any size of machine. The licence automatically updates itself. You don’t have to send it away for renewal. If the machine was older and not capable of this speed the it would fall into the A1 category and when you pass you would be limited to 125cc bikes.

PAYG Training (Pay As You Go)

This is simply booking one lesson at a time. With our package courses we allow you to block book your lessons on the days that suit you best. With pay as you go we don’t want customers picking all the weekend slots and thus blocking out our package courses. This option is best if you don’t want to pay all your money upfront or you don’t want to be under pressure and have a deadline to meet by having your practical test pre-booked. You simply take lessons until you feel you are ready and then book the practical test.

Harley’s Promise

This is offered with certain package courses and with it if you fail the practical test then you receive free bike hire on your test day until you pass. This promise does not cover unlimited training while you are waiting for your next test. It covers the bike hire for the test and up to 1 hour pre-test lesson

What is Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)?

CBT is a course of basic motorcycle training which must be completed before a learner moped or motorcycle rider is allowed to ride unaccompanied on the road with L-plates.

What is direct access?

Direct access is a scheme which allows a person over the age of 21 to avoid the two year/25kw restriction by taking a test on a machine of at least 35kw (46.6bhp). Any instruction given on a machine that exceeds the normal learner motorcycle specification must be supervised by a certified motorcycle instructor.

What is the minimum age to ride a moped?

The minimum age to ride a moped is 16.

What is the minimum age to ride a motorcycle?

The minimum age is 17.

What restrictions are there when I first pass my motorcycle test?

A standard motorcycle test pass restricts the full licence holder to machines of 25kw (33bhp) with a power to weight ratio of 0.16kw/kg for two years.

What will my examiner want from me?

Your examiner will want you to drive safely and competently in various road and traffic conditions. The examiner will give you clear directions in good time, and will ask you to carry out set exercises.

Where do I take compulsory basic training?

At Harley’s Rider Training (Remember to bring chocolate biscuits!)

Who can sign a photograph to be used as identity on a driving test?

Unfortunately, from 1 November 2005 this option is now not accepted as ID. The only photographic ID that is accepted, other than a photocard licence, is a valid passport.

How long is the CBT certificate valid for?

Certificates issued since 1 February 2001 are valid for two years. However, if you passed a car test on or after 1 February 2001 you will receive moped entitlement on your licence but will need to hold a valid CBT certificate on the date you passed your test or subsequently take CBT. In this instance your moped entitlement will be validated for your driving career.

I want to take a car test and I already hold a full motorcycle licence. Do I need to pass a theory test?

If you obtained a full motorcycle licence before 1 February 2001, you are exempt from passing your car theory test (but not practical test). If you passed your motorcycle test after 1 February 2001, you will need to pass a car theory test before taking a practical test.

I want to take a motorcycle test and I already hold a full car licence. Do I need to take a theory test?

Yes. Your car licence does not exempt you from taking the motorcycle theory test.

What documents do I need to take to the practical test?

You will need to take your photo card licence and paper counterpart to the test centre.

If you have an old-style paper licence you will also need to take a valid passport.

Join Our Mailing List